Thursday, April 20, 2006

I am a cheater.

I wrote this a while ago and left it sitting as a draft in my email. but I couldn't think who to send it to, and it seems appropriate just to leave it here.

I had my Korean literature class today. We were learning about this type of poetry that only the elite males of the highest social class, and the females of the lowest social class ( like the Geisha) could write.
It's really funny to think of it in terms of the makeup of the community. Although there is this low class of women who are despised by the higher classes, they are the most educated of all the females, and can write poetry that only the highest men can write.
I read the other day that the western concept of love is a fairly new phenomenon. It's really only since the 1800s, in the period before Jane Austen, who in turn popularised it through her novels. Before that time, there was no choice over who you married. Even in Shakepere, most forms of marrige are arranged, or the love aspect of something like a love triangle is resolved by someone quickly having a change of heart to fit the happily ever after bit. I guess you have exceptions in the tragedies, like Romeo in Juliet..
I then went out to a music gig and ended up talking to someone about how your body produces endorphins when you are around someone you love, so therefore that person become like an addiction.
In this kind of Korean soceity, the men married women of their own class, to produced superior offspring, but they had these female entertainers, who were companions on more than just a sexual level. It's such a different idea to the western forms of prostitution.
So I guess the question is, as a woman, would I prefer to be of low social standing, but well educated, or of high social standing, but stupid.
Dilemma, no?

3 comments:

Jagd Kunst said...

No dilemma. Low and smart's the way to go.

pinhead said...

choose leland palmer's balls

Lady Maladroit said...

was that your choice, even with syphillus, you sick puppy!